Tuesday, 7 July 2015

My daily sadhana

I've been meditating daily for a month now (after a long break), and it's been wonderful to get back into it. I don't ever want to stop again!

But I have to admit, it takes a fair amount of discipline. I am not at the stage where I can wake up early before everyone else does in order to meditate. It's just too hard - I have a young toddler that doesn't sleep through the night consistently, and even if I am awake early enough, she seems to have a sixth sense and wakes up alongside me - grumpy and needy to boot! So right now, here's what my daily practice looks like...

Wake up, get the children ready for the day, husband and school child leave. Settle any arguments, take toddler to the potty, do a small amount of housework like putting a load of laundry on. It's nearly 9am at this point.

Use the tv as a babysitter - sneak upstairs to my bedroom where I unroll my yoga mat and get to work.

Right now my daily yoga and meditation routine is as follows:

Tune In: Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo x 3

Protection Mantra: Aad Guray Nameh, Jugaad Guray Nameh, Sat Guray Nameh, Siri Guru  Dayvay Nameh x 3

Nabhi Kriya: This is an exercise to help digestion, which is what I'm working on right now with my mono fast. I've started with the minimum times on each exercise, and am working up. I have seen an improvement in my strength, which is exciting, but it does mean that eventually this part of my day will take nearly an hour to complete! (I really need to start waking up early...) I find it very interesting how different I feel mentally when I do a kriya vs an exercise programme. Kriyas do more than just strengthen the body - there is a spiritual element to it that makes me feel so happy! I find myself smiling as I am doing these exercises. It's wonderful, and I don't like missing a single day (unlike when I used to go to the gym!).

Kirtan Kriya: This is the meditative portion of my morning. I usually opt for the shortened version that lasts 11 minutes, because by this point my children have finished with the tv and come looking for me. They climb on me, poke me, ask me questions, pull on me, sit on me, cry at me, play in the toilet water, etc etc. Good times!

Tune Out: Sing the song, "Long time sun". So beautiful!

I try to pray and read scriptures after this, but it often gets relegated to later in the day, over lunch or while the toddler is napping. I am working on consistency with all aspects of my daily worship.


No comments:

Post a Comment